In 1980, a group of sport medicine professionals were brought together by the Minister of Sport as an advisory council on Sport Medicine Policy and Procedures. In 1989, this Council with other sport representatives developed a constitution that is the basis for today's Sport Medicine Council of Manitoba. The main purpose of the SMCM is to facilitate and coordinate member associations in common endeavors in sport medicine and sport sciences such as conferences, symposia, research, and public education. Other objectives are to initiate and promote education and research programs related to the field of sport medicine and sport sciences and to establish guidelines designed to ensure high standards of care for sport participants.
The SMCM Board of Directors determines policy and procedure and directs the activities of the Council in consultation with an Executive Committee. The SMCM Executive is elected, consisting of a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, the Drugs in Sport Chair and presently two Members-at-large. Each member group has one representative on the Council.
- Holistic team approach
- User driven
- Uphold the highest professional standards of care and professionalism
- Encourage and promote ethics and the appropriate standards in sport
- Education of both the public and the sport community
- Prevention and avoidance of injury
- Excellence in the provision of Sport Medicine Council of Manitoba Services and programs
- Financial responsibility
- To act as a cooperative forum of groups of medical, paramedical and sport scientists to meet the needs of Provincial Sport Organizations and sport and recreation participants
- To promote and facilitate guidelines designed to ensure a high quality of medical and paramedical care for sport andrecreation participants.
- To promote education and research and related programs in the fields of sport medicine and sport sciences
- To develop an information bank which can be used for the prevention and management of sport and recreation injuries and illnesses
- To ensure the dissemination and availability of this information
- To coordinate the activities of member associations in common endeavors in sport medicine and sport sciences
- To coordinate provisions of medical and paramedical personnel drawn from its member organizations for the care of sport and recreation participants at sporting events
- To provide a forum for the development of knowledge and professional skills in sport medicine and sport sciences
- To coordinate in an effective and efficient manner the activities of the Sport Medicine Council of Manitoba